Unofficially obsessed with Google.


Froogle Local Finds No Socks in NYC

4/10/2006 06:45:00 PM
So I'm in New York City.
And I need some socks.

To find some, I type the query in Froogle Local:

Searching Froogle / Google Local for socks in NYC

Sorting results by distance and glancing at the map, I can see what's available. Hm, one result for New York City socks. That's one lonely pair of socks for almost 8 million inhabitants of New York City (I've circled just Manhattan below).

Froogle / Google Local NYC

Zooming in I see my socks are part of an iDog Chill Set from J&R Computer World. While it's one of NYC's greatest discount stores, J&R is an electronics retailer. And those iDog socks are actually two inches long and belong to a stuffed toy I can hook up to my iPod. Baffling. So, I click around for more NYC socks, and there a few other listings, but it's more iDog sets and hampers from Home Depot. Does no one in New York need socks?!

Froogle / Google Local NYC

As it turns out, the most relevant/proximal socks I could find using Froogle Local are at a Target in New Jersey. That's a couple train rides away, the expense of which is insupportable just for buying socks. Froogle Local, instead of pointing out a handy retailer near my home, has just convinced me I should shop online. Tricky, eh? Here's why this is happening:

Froogle (Local) is inefficient, because it relies on retailers to upload inventory
Froogle's usefulness is dependent on heavy retailer participation -- this involves a retailer laboriously uploading a warehouse of product info and keeping it updated on the Froogle site. Experiments like this one show that enormous sector of retailers are not participating in Google's Froogle program. It also means that I won't get any socks in NYC until some vendor proximal to me uploads a pair.

6 Comments:

Blogger Utills said...

For items like these imagine if retailers offered subscription services.

You would subscribe to the service and every few months they would fire you an email or add a post to an RSS feed where they display the latest "socks" or "pants".

These repeat purchases could then be done over the net without having to go to the shop and without the need to test the material or merchandise since you would have bought these before.
11:57 AM

 
Anonymous Nike shox said...

Life is such a reality and make people helpless. Although I'm tired of the job, but I still stick to it. In the life happy or angry, sad or joyous only myself knows. How eager am I to take a break and treat myself to a vacation. Then lay down all the burden and have a relaxed travel.
3:36 AM

 
Anonymous comprar tablet pc said...

I fully match with whatever thing you've presented.
5:20 AM

 
Anonymous www.muebles-en-jaen.com said...

So, I do not really consider it may have effect.
3:30 AM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, replica watches, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, cheap uggs, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots clearance, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, ugg outlet, oakley sunglasses, uggs, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren
10:50 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors pas cher, nike air force, coach outlet store online, north face, nike free pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, sac longchamp pas cher, nike blazer, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, nike roshe, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, air max pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, polo ralph lauren, sac guess, hollister, louboutin, ray ban pas cher, lululemon outlet online, coach outlet, true religion jeans, nike tn, mulberry, kate spade handbags, vanessa bruno, coach purses, true religion outlet, timberland, sac hermes, air max, replica handbags, air jordan, ralph lauren, nike roshe run pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, north face, hogan outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, hollister, nike free, sac burberry, michael kors, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors uk, longchamp
10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home